Podcast, meditation, and the migraine takeover.
It’s Sunday, I am fighting a migraine (it snowed yesterday and is in the 30's today, and will be in the 70s tomorrow!!)
This week I was interviewed on a podcast. A few weeks back I had the host on MY show, and he invited me to be a guest on his. It airs tomorrow night at 7-PM on YouTube. (Trevor Jackson T.V.) Trevor is a prolific creator, with several different podcasts covering a wide range of topics. My interview is on his Higher Vibration channel.
We talked about my artwork, and my work as a Reiki healer, among other things.
Before we started recording, we were just chatting, and the subject of hairstyles came up (I was having trouble with my hair and my headphones, haha. Like a bird's nest!) And we were talking about having longer hair when Trevor mentioned maybe getting braids put in his hair. I told him that I have wanted braids for a long time, but wanted to be mindful of the social climate and my place as a white woman in American society. Meaning that I never want to be appropriating Black culture, or making anyone uncomfortable with the way I style my hair. On one hand, I feel like we are all free to dress and style our hair as we please, but on the other, I also don't want to be tone-deaf. Trevor said he never heard of the idea that white people shouldn't braid their hair? He said one of his best friends was a white dude with braids, haha! It was an interesting conversation. Am I going to run out and braid my hair now? Not sure! But it was nice to hear Trevor's viewpoint about it.
Update on Queen of the Damned. I haven't gotten very far. We had my stepdaughter several days this week, and I had two migraines (or was it three??) so I just didn't set aside much time for reading. I am determined to finish it this week! I am!
This week I also plan to work on my latest painting, continue writing this blog, and I am also going to start a two to three week-long yoga practice intensive. I'm not going to a retreat or a studio or anything. And although I move my body through yoga most days, I am committing to a 1.5-hour practice, six to seven days a week, along with breathwork and my daily meditation practice.
Speaking of meditation, I've realized that meditation is the cornerstone of so much of my healing! It really does open space enough to hear that 'still, small voice' inside of us. Meditating has helped me self-regulate my emotions, calm my anxiety (even off the yoga mat and meditation pillow). It's helped me quiet the outside world to a degree so that I can actually hear Holy Spirit wisdom.
...
It's Wednesday (my favorite day)
I meant to finish this post on Sunday afternoon, but I had a migraine attack that afternoon that went into the evening, all night and the next two days. Ugh. It's the longest attack I've had up to this point. They usually last 12-14 hours, so if I can get to sleep, I am usually all right, aside from the hangover (prodrome) the next day. This particular migraine actually woke me in the middle of the night with pain, and when I woke on Monday morning, I was in a LOT of pain. It eased a tiny bit, but hit hard again Monday night. Tuesday, I got up and did a grocery run, but while I was at the store, I started getting really light-headed, and feeling space-y. By the time I got home and put the food away, I was back in the midst of a full-blown migraine. It carried over into the night. Thankfully I was able to sleep and today I am headache-free so far, fingers crossed!
Like every Wednesday, I am writing, cleaning, making art and studying. And will also be reading for pleasure in a bit, too. (I told you, Wednesdays are good days.)
This evening I am cutting my husband's hair, and he has mixed emotions about it. He is in the midst of job interviews and wants to look clean cut, and on top of that, long hair feels miserable to him, itching his ears and getting in his eyes when he works. And he runs hot all the time, so it's really been driving him crazy. He has been growing it for about 8 months. The reason for the grow-out is this: Steven wanted to grow it in order to style it in a disgusting, terrible style for a new license photo. We were thinking, feathered with a mustache ala Yanni/Richard Marx. Or do a terrible bowl cut with baby bangs, like a monk haha. While he is a little disappointed, Steven is looking forward to getting all of the long hair off his face.
...
I was meditating this morning, and felt this completely overwhelming sense of peace, and big love. It literally dissolved all of my worry. I could breathe deeply, and just rest in that space. This is another thing I really love about meditation practice. The way it quiets all the world-noise. I've thought of teaching a meditation class for beginners, a simple get-started type of thing. Maybe.
Bye
Comments
Post a Comment