Chill(y) Sunday
It's my favorite day of the week. I love the slower pace of Sunday. I know I have some privilege in that I don't work on Sundays, and I recognize that. But there were several years of my life where I did have to work Sundays which makes me appreciate my now-work-free weekends that much more.
I like not having an alarm to wake up to. I like long conversations with my husband on the back porch over coffee. I think it is one day out of the week where mentally, I can allow myself to rest without guilt. (Hey, I am working on letting myself rest any time I want without guilt, but this 'productivity/worthiness' mindset is deep-seated.)
I remember all those years through my 20s and early 30s when Sunday, which is a day of rest, was the most hectic day of the week. I got up so early, to get my family fed, and get my son ready (he was still small), and then we'd head to church. Sunday school at 9 am, followed by church service at 10:30. Then we'd get home around 2 or 3:00 and I would start cooking for lunch and dinner. It sure was a lot of work!
Nowadays, I see the Sabbath a little differently. I don't think it has to be tied into ONE particular day. (What about pastors and church nursery workers? They work every Sunday, are they excluded from the Sabbath day rule??) I think if your schedule allows, it is good to take a day (any day of the week!) and simply SLOW DOWN. You don't have to sit on the couch all day(but that's nice sometimes!), but maybe find some quiet place to think on Holy things, talk to God, express gratitude, meditate, get out in nature. Disconnect from the noise for a bit.
And I say this in an encouraging way, please understand. There is nothing wrong with you if you can't or won't take a day to rest. I just want you to know that having done it, it has been a really sweet practice for me.
Anyway, enough of me waxing poetic about taking a day off. It's late evening now, and my husband is working on a school project while I sit here writing
...
I heard that stupid Skater Boi song earlier today (you know the one, about the skater boy who loved the ballerina,but ended up with the 'punk' girl in the end because poetic justice blah blah blah), and I remember in high school, that the skater boys never actually dated skater girls at all. They went for the normal girl types. That's fine though, most skater boys I knew then are now in their forties, and traded flannels for polos, khaki shorts and deck shoes,(or they are literally in prison. No really, I went to school with a skater boy who definitely went to prison.) so the weird girls actually dodged a bullet if you ask me, haha.
...
Tomorrow I will be packing and getting things ready for a trip to Huntsville to hang my gallery show, then work in the salon through the weekend. I'm hoping to go to some yoga classes as well. I'll be staying with my soul sister, Emily, so I think I'll bring my recording gear and have her as a guest on the podcast again. We did that previously and it was such a good time.
...
Bye
Comments
Post a Comment